Close your eyes, if you will, and envision a slave in a Roman household around the year 100 AD. His kind master frees him and the former slave becomes very wealthy. At some point in his life he has become a Christian, and in the year 130 A.D. he is martyred* for his faith...
This man's name was Hermes. Hermes is the patron of Forte dei Marmi in Lucca, Italy. (It is in northern Italy, on the west coast, near the Apuan Alps. See image.)
A catacomb in the Salesian Way has been named after St. Hermes, and his relics are at the Aqua pendente, Salzburg, Cornelimunster, San Marco (Rome), and Seligenstadt. Venerate yours today!
*The word "martyr" is a Greek word, meaning "witness." The word "witness" is an English word meaning "martyr."

16 comments:
Wow, I didn't even know there was a saint Hermes.
Don't you love how all the saints relics are in different places? Like St. Catherine: Finger in Siena, bidy in Rome, etc., etc. Gotta love it.
Claireeee! How am I supposed to close my eyes and continue reading simultaneously? I know it was you Claire, and you broke my heart. You broke my heart. *smooch*
Deid, you don't have to continue reading, you just have to imagine all the stuff that's written there. Did you guys start school yesterday? I heard that you all had orchestra last night. How did that go? All my lovin...
What do you think of the name Zelie Margaret? (There's an upward dash above the first "e" in Zelie)I'm thinking of naming 2.5 week old fetus that. :) Baby!
What an astoundingly gorgeous photograph! I'll have to see it when I go to Italy in 35 days. I'll be sure to pray for you, Herm, when I see our patron's relics.
Deirdz, I think you should compose an Ojai Youth Symphony cheer or song. It would be terrific. I got your letter today; LOVED IT!! :)
It would be inappropriate for general consumption. How is your reply coming? I could use some Hermes words of wisdom. Actually, I'm really in the mood for any words of wisdom at all. I kind of need them.
Mmm...those german chocolate cupcakes were WAY to good...as well as the Reeses ice cream. *smack lips* mmm...Deirdre I wish that I would find a big letter in the mail from you. Oh well, pray to St. Anthony to help you find my letter. Love ya!
Deirdre, you need words of wisdom, you say?
Well, today's your lucky day! Your wish has been granted! Here is a FREE sample of authentic "Patrick's Words of Wisdom" (TM) yours for a limited only!!!
>> Don't try to brush your teeth and clean the toilet bowl at the same time.
>> When playing with giant killer rabbits, make sure to not have used carrott-scented shampoo or body wash.
>> Never use duct tape to try to repair a flesh wound.
>> It is generally advisable to refrain from abruptly sneezing or making any sudden movements during a meeting of Murderous Paranoiacs Anonymous.
Hope this helps!! To recieve more, call 1-800-4-WIS-DOM or visit us online at http://violasreignsupreme.blogspot.com
Call NOW!!!
Oh, Deirdz, I'll write as fast as I can! I'm really looking forward to writing in reply to your letter. :)
Heh heh. Thanks for that Patrick, even though those (so called) 'words of wisdom' weren't exactly directed to me.
Deirdre...I'm waiting...*A big, fat juicy letter from Deirdre! YES!*
How about super glue?
Haste, Hermes, haste.
It's in the mail!
The scene in Ojai:
It's noon now and all the mailboxes have been emptied
And all the letters are inside
(S)he counts them, (s)he checks them, (s)he looks for clues and finds
The ones with hearts on the outside...
Name that song, anyone?
The postman song. Woo! Lovely, Patrick.
I love that song. It make me think of the first time that I heard it, when CLaire and Madeline sang a stirring rendition.
Ha ha! That's funny, Erika... :) I don't know if I remember that. We've sung it several times.
Hmm... It's friday! Yay! I only have one class left before two whole days of freedom! It's actually not as bad as all that. classes are mostly fun, as is studying (most of the time), but thinking for a whole week gets a little wearying. I don't have to say anything intelligent until monday! *confetti* Love you all.
Post a Comment