Sunday, January 22, 2006

Austenian Purgatory

1. An evening at a recital given by Mary Bennet.

2. A tour of Rosings with Mr. Collins

3. Relationship advice from Lady Russell.

4. A visit to a library with Miss Bates.

5. An audience with the Queen accompanied by Mrs. Bennet.

6. A night of babysitting Lady Middleton's children.

7. Sir Walter Elliot standing in for your father at a father/son wilderness survival camp.

8. One day of nursing Mary Musgrove through one of her illnesses.

9. The friendship of Lucy Steele.

10. An evening of backgammon with Mr. Woodhouse (and don't expect sweetbread and asparagus when the refreshments arrive).

11. A girls' clothes-shopping expedition and makeover with Caroline Bingley.

12. Having Lydia Bennet over for a two weeks' holiday.

13. A conversation with Mrs. Elton about Maple Grove.

14. A carriage ride with John Thorpe.

15.Matchmaking by Caroline Bingley.

16. Dinner with Mr. Wickham.

17. Aunt Norris moves in next door and becomes an Amway distributor.

18. A moral discussion with Mary Bennet and Mr. Collins.

19. A cross-country tour in the Barouche with the condescending Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

20. The ultimate: Being Charlotte Lucas, walking down the aisle to exchange vows with her groom...Mr. Collins.


I found this list on wanderlust64.tripod.com/austen.html, along with this joke:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single chicken, being possessed of a good fortune and presented with a good road, must be desirous of crossing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahoo! That's hysterical. I like the Mrs. Elton one. What a goofy character. :) What a funny idea of things to make a list for. Have a good evening, lady! ;) XO, Me

Anonymous said...

Well, that's pretty great. Whoever came up with it is a total genius!

Gregaria said...

I like this a lot :) Its true that Jane Austen comes up with the most maddening characters! I like the Chicken crossing joke... I should post some on my blog... ha ha!

Unknown said...

Man, no kidding about marrying Mr. Collins. I mean...seriously. Way to be, Charlotte. *shakes head*

I think for P&P to truly end happily, Mr. Collins should've...melted. Like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Gregaria said...

Yeah... ugh.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I even know who all those characters are, having read at least part of all their prospective books. I'm reading Persuasion right now. How did you like Pride and Prej, Cowee? Is Mr. Collins your new role model?

Anonymous said...

#21 - Carride with Yanni in the frontseat, in the middle of the summer, and a broken air conditioner. Yanni alone would drive me to insanity before the overheating car. And I am not the only one from Seattle that shares this view. And don't any of you ever even entertain the idea of purchasing a ticket for me for one of his concerts. I have ways of seeking retribution...