Sunday, April 16, 2006

To increase your vocabulary

Here are a few new words that I found on www.phobialist.com.
Geliophobia: fear of laughter
Dextrophobia: fear of objects at the right side of the body
Deipnophobia: fear of dining or dinner conversations
Phonophobia: fear of noises or voices or one's own voice; of telephones
Barophobia: fear of gravity
Triskaidekaphobia: fear of the number 13
Vestiphobia: fear of clothing
Zemmiphobia: fear of the great mole rat

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

*funk music*

I think it's crazy that there are official fears for just about everything. I wonder why people fear so many ridiculous things? Hmm... superstitions prolly. I think I'll have to go through that list and find the names of my fears.... Interesting.

God bless ya guys! Keep away from the fears that me sistuh posted!

Anonymous said...

I suffer from the second to last.

Unknown said...

Me too. I wonder why.

Gregaria said...

Ahem! Please!

PB said...

Children! Please! This is a family site.

Coincedentally, if anyone has the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of their mouth, talk to Erin. For some strange reason she knows what the word is for that malady and will not hesitate to pull it out at the slightest provocation.

Also, do you think theyres a word for "Fear of people dressed like hippies who smoke ciggarettes and climb all over each other at BCC"? because I think I have that condition. Or is that just common sense?

Anonymous said...

Well, Paddy, I think you have a very common fear. It's so common that instead of having a fancy -phobia word for it, people just call it "common sense."

Unknown said...

Actually, Patrick, I think that's known as "Homohepigarbiucigarettéfumbasiophobia."

And yes, that will be on the quiz.

Anonymous said...

Lalalala! I wish you guys would sing a song to me.

Anonymous said...

I suffer from the last one. And the first. So, Claire, don't hang with me too much, or I might break my fear. :) Hee hee! Deirdz and Joe, you guys are such cards... "you make me happy when skies are gray." BTW, how do YOU spell the color that's a mix between black and white?

PB said...

Grey.

But why does "gray" look right as well? Thanks alot Sheila!! Now I'm all confused.

Grey? Gray? Grey?...

Fiona S M Bernhoft said...

They're both correct, but I prefer grey. It looks so much more elegant. Patrick, you are a good man for spelling it like that.

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering, Patrick. Sorry to get you all confused. :) For me it depends on the mood, but generally I spell it gray. Or grey. Not sure acutally...

PB said...

Yeah, I prefer grey, as well. But then again, I also like "honour" better than "honor," and "theatre" better than "theater."

Maybe its my Mongolian blood coming out in me.




Just kidding. As far as I know, I have no ancestors farther east than Germany.

Anonymous said...

i like the fear of long words...its the longest word i've ever seen in my life. im no kidding :d

Anonymous said...

I like how Grace had vestiphobia at the Curtises last week. We were playing ultimate fris and soccer and at one point someone thought that one of Grace's shirts on the ground was a goal "post," but actually her shoes were the goal posts. Then we found a belt lying in the grass elsewhere... Grace has vestiphobia!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Yep, Patrick is right:
Arachibutyrophobia is fear of peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. Here's a link I just found which is totally serious but actually pretty funny. It's for arachibutyrophobes...
Try saying that three times fast. *says arachibutyrophobia three times at top speed* There. I did it.

Anonymous said...

Um...not to come in late or anything, but both "gray and "grey" are completely wrong.

I prefer "Graeiyhe"

...just so you know.

Anonymous said...

Is there a "-phobia" word for vertigo?
What is the word for fear of God? (true, that's a different type of fear, but still...)