Monday, April 24, 2006

Saint Fidelis and the Holy Spirit


Bing! Happy 2nd anniversary of our confirmation!
Everyone, happy feast of St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen. Lawyer, philosopher, teacher; priest, friar, guardian; healer, preacher, peacemaker, and martyr. "Woe to me if I should prove myself but a halfhearted soldier in the service of my thorn-crowned Captain." Today is the 384th anniversary of his martyrdom! (And it's also Pro-Life T-shirt day!) Make the most of it, everyone.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed wearing my Pro-life tee shirt, until *climbing* in the lilac tree (and the fence...) proved that gathering lilacs was a sport one should definitely wear an ugly, medium green shirt for. So, I had to make my statement earlier in the day, and I hope you all remember next year that climbing lilac trees should NOT be done on April 24th.
Happy confirmation! I loved that day... *sigh* and then we went and met a great family, the Sims. Man, that was fun. :)
Woah, hit the F10 button and magical things will happen.
That was long...

Anonymous said...

Shill, nothing happened.

Mmm... I love that quote from St. Fidelis! He's great! When I first saw that picture of him it totally looked like he was holding a rifle or two. :)

I didn't wear my pro-life t-shirt because I wasn't going anywhere where it would have made a difference. I cancelled all my regular activities to do something pro-life instead. So, I think I made the most of my day.

Anonymous said...

Hermes! I absolutely LOVE the revelation of the day!!! What a brilliant idear. Everyone, check it out on the sidebar under Links. :)

Gregaria said...

Yes, we did have a wonderfully pro-life day on Monday.

Hit the F11 button and magical things will happen.

Anonymous said...

It only really works if you have a couple of pages up at the same time... I guess you should just visit everyone's blogs at once and then hit the F10 button. The F10 button's cooler than the F11, that is if you have at least 3 pages up at once. Try it. It's fun. Sort of like the button of doom, only cooler. G'head. Go *grow up*....

PB said...

Aw, man I forgot it was pro-life t shirt day!! So thats why erin was wearing hers!

Um, I'm gonna have to say F11 is cooler than F10. Sorry, Sheila.

Anonymous said...

I didn't wear my t-shirt because I didn't feel like matching my sisters. I guess I'm just shallow that way.
St. Fidelius sounds like a great saint for me. You guys, I have to have a saint by next Confirmation Class. Code red! If anyone has a sudden brilliant revelation and finds the perfect Deirdre patron, let me know.
Hermes, have you picked yet?

Gregaria said...

Well, you could pick a patron who had the same job as you would like to have one day, or emulates a certain virtue you don't have, but work at having on a regular basis, or your patron could be the patron of a certain movement, country, or disease that's close to your heart somehow, or the patron of your favorite hobby, or someone who overcame obstacles similar to your obstacles, and the list goes on... Hopefully that gives you some ideas.
Go to the patron saint index and type in your hobbies, career ideas, virtues, vices, etc, and see what comes up.

Anonymous said...

Heck yes, toots. I'm going with Faustina.

PB said...

This discussion reminds me of a story:

While I was struggling to come up with a confirmation name, my mom had a brilliant stroke of genious:

"Hey Patrick, wasnt there a saint or an angel or somebody with a name that meant "Bearer of Light," or something like that?"

Umm, yeah, that would have been Lucifer.

Needless to say, I did not go with that suggestion.

Gregaria said...

Ha ha ha ha! That's hilarious.

I'm so glad you didn't choose that one... whoo!

Anonymous said...

Lorna, when I was going to get confirmed, I didn't exactly know what saint I was going to pick either. I wanted to it be the right one if I was going to be stuck with it for the rest of my life, and... it just wasn't coming to me.

Then one day, whilst I was in adoration listening to someone read from Holy Scriptures, it just suddenly came to me without any forethought, I was sure that my Saint was supposed to be St. Peter! I wasn't really like having an idea, where you have to toss it around in your head for a while before you think that it's right. It was like, 'oh, Saint Peter.' I was immediately at peace with everyrthing, and still am.

So, I guess I would recommend going to adoration and having some read the Bible to you...Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

By the way, that happened like a day or two before I was supposed to get confirmed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deirdz! Let's go to adoration today. I'll bring my Bible. :)

Anonymous said...

You guys... I'm glad I don't have to decide for another two years! Hooray! I'm thinking St. Gianna, maybe... Or St. Teresa. Every time I think about it, though, I think, "Hmm. Patron Saint of music. Yeah! that'd be good! Who's that again... St. Cecilia. Oh, too bad. I'm already named after her." It's a little dilemma I go through multiple times a day. Almost.
I love that, Patrick. And no, F10 is cooler if you have multiple pages out. You're full of it. So there. Even if you do play the viola.

Unknown said...

Ahem.

F10 is cooler iff you are using a Mac. If you are using windows like the rest of the world (ooh, snap!) than F11 is cooler.

Anonymous said...

Urm, Joe? You're totally full of it.
And on the confirmation saint front, this evening it was revealed to me that St. Martha is totally mine! Anyone who knows me knows she's perfect.
I still say F10 is cooler, yo.

Unknown said...

F10 is just another ALT key in windows, besides the fact that it doesn't do anything. F11 puts whatever browser you're using into full-screen mode, which is undeniably cooler than having toolbar get highlighted.
In.
Your.
FACE!

PB said...

What would we do with out the technical expertise of Joe? And since I use Macs at the paper and Windows at home I feel like I have enough expertse to say F11 is cooler than F10.

So there, Sheila.

~Lucifer

PB said...

What would we do with out the technical expertise of Joe? And since I use Macs at the paper and Windows at home I feel like I have enough expertse to say F11 is cooler than F10.

So there, Sheila.

~Lucifer

PB said...

Stupid Computer. Just goes to show my words are twice as important.

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm tentatively going with St. Mary Magdalen. *gulp* It's out in the open now...

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think that is a great choice. :)

Anonymous said...

I told you she's a good choice, Lorna.

Anonymous said...

Hooray Deirdre! I'm glad you have finally decided. She's an awesome Saint, and her feast day is on your b'day so that makes her all the more fitting for you.

PB said...

Um, would you go with Mary or would you go with Magadalen? Or Both?

How about Tilda?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I didn't say I had actually picked her. I'm just "tentatively going with her." Don't pressure me!

I'll go by "Mm!"

PB said...

How about something from Swahili?

"My name is Juji Ellemaka Jendavi Bernhoft and I wish to be confirmed."

That's actually some real Swahili there. Translated roughly it means:

Heap of love born on a Tuesday milking a cow.

Has a certain ring to it, eh?

Anonymous said...

I was born on a Sunday:

"But the child that is born on the Sabbath Day
Is happy and blithe and good and gay."

Can you say that in Swahili?

Anonymous said...

I thought it was bonny and blithe and good and gay. It sounds better. And the F10 is still cooler. Thhbbtt, as Calvin would say.
Oh, and just for the record, my 'latest flame' is Fred Astaire. *sigh* And yes that was totally random.

Anonymous said...

*sigh*...Fred Astaire...*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Fred Astaire! Isn't he terrific?

Anonymous said...

It is "bonny," Shil, I just couldn't remember the correct adjective. Thanks for helping me out there!

-Jimmy Eaton.

Anonymous said...

UPDATE!!!

Gregaria said...

Claire said: Yeah, is been awhile.

Patrick, I love the swahili idea... totally. The bishop would be like, "Umm... can you repeat that?"

Anonymous said...

No, it's been okay, Claire. We've been having grand conversations. :) I love you, Jimmy Eaton!