Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Dream Stealer


For the second time ever (as far as I am aware) I made it into the paper! It's from the Western Front campus newspaper, and the article is about the composers of Western concert that happened last Monday. This photo from one of our rehearsals for The Dream Stealer made it onto the article, but they didn't put our names on it anywhere. The pianist is Heidi Fivash, the violinist Brendan something... the flautist is Justin Lee, who is also our principal clarinetist for wind symphony, and the cellist is Zach something. (Unfortunately, I can't remember those last names.)So, that's rull exciting! You can read the article if you like, although I didn't find it particularly provoking.

Other exciting news includes seeing the play "The Importance of Being Earnest" here last night. If you've never seen it, you must! It's a romantic comedy by Oscar Wilde and there are a couple of movie versions (one with Colin Firth in it!) that you could see. Anyway, the play was *very* good and I would probably see it again if I had eight more dollars.

Tonight I am going to see an opera that I believe a student here wrote... not sure though. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it because I love opera!

I only have two more weeks of class and some finals to go! The end is in sight!

14 comments:

Claire Russell / Group 8 said...

Well, the opera was called "The Critic" and it was a tragedy; it was only 40 minutes long. There were only three characters: husband who's a seaman, wife who's an author, and critic who hates what the wife writes and has really harsh criticism. So, the husband dies at sea b/c the ship sinks, his wife can't handle his death and the critic's wickedness, so she kills herself, and the critic was just cynical, but brief... if you know what I mean. I really liked the critic's outfit though because he had those black-rimmed devil spectacles, you know, like Kronc's shoulder devil, and a black outfit with a dark blue tie and a fedora. He looked pretty spiffy, but was a kind of boring character after all. It was overall a good production though. And I got some melon-panna gelato afterwards. :) (Panna is basically milky/cream flavored. I like to call it "white" flavored.)

Gregaria said...

Wow. Claire, these are exciting times at the old WWU campus, eh?

I don't think that opera fits the definition of "tragedy." Can you please edit your remarks accordingly?

Today is Gigi's birthday!

And, finally, I have a job!

Goodnight.

Anonymous said...

you failed to mention the first time you appeared in the paper. If memory serves, it was for the Tale Of Two Cities.
Anyways, congrats where congrats is due.

Fiona S M Bernhoft said...

Thank you, Hannah, I was just about to say that. It doesn't seem to be a tragedy to me, either. Ha ha ha! I love being a TAC student!

Anonymous said...

What ev, guys. It sure doesn't sound like a comedy. :)

Unknown said...

Fine: it was a short opera with a less than happy ending. (Gosh...)

I remembered Gigi's birthday as well. :)

You have a job Hannah? Awesome! You must tell me more... :)

Actually, Basil, I was in the paper when I was three when they were remodeling the Lynnwood Library. There was a large photo of me sitting there with a stack of books. As for T of 2 C, I don't think my picture was in the paper, so it doesn't really count. Sorry.

Happy Memorial Day, y'all!

Anonymous said...

I love it! :D
I'm home, Miss Potato Chip. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin, have you seen Zorro lately? His handwriting was pretty dairn awesome! :) Hehe...
When you mentioned the play "The Importance of Being Earnest", I thought imediately of Spiderman...ugh. Ha! :D I'm glad that you are having fun. Come visit me soon, okay? I love you. :)

Gregaria said...

Well, its in "blank" city about 20 minutes away from my house. The doctor seems really nice and there is one other d.a. there. Dr.'s wife is the receptionist. He seems like a brand new dentist and he reminds me of a certain middle boy of a family of three boys who also happen to be our cousins... really smiley :)

I hope you have a wonderful day, Pumpkin Sunshine.

Fiona S M Bernhoft said...

And Claire, you look super awesome with your clarinet in that picture. It reminds me of fun times with dying poets and such, and other fun times with Bach and Ishmael. Whee!

Anonymous said...

I've been in the newspaper at least five times that I know of since arriving in Ojai, and then a couple other times in W-wa. Ho ho!

Anonymous said...

5+??? What have you been doing, toots?

Claire Russell / Group 8 said...

Fraulein, for propriety's sake, please don't share the details of those newspaper articles with the public! Modesty forbids! ;) When are you going to come and visit me? Remember to bring Earl! (I wonder if you would need to get him his own seat on the airplane?)

Daisy said...

Is Earl Deirdre's cello? I've heard it is slightly difficult to transport cellos (celli?) via airplane, although I've never had any experience in that matter...