Friday, December 09, 2005

His intrinsic name is Tony Flash

Dad brought home three little gold fish from his HomeTask meeting last night. Luke adopted one right away, naming it "Trojan." I named one "Christmas," and Grace adopted it soon after. The third one, though... Hermes and I decided to share it, and we started out thinking about names for it. I'd say we spent a good three hours tossing names up in the air. The first ones were names like Vincent, Roger Pool, Lord Coocooface, and Persephone. Eventually, we thought it should be a medieval name: Sir Galahad, Lancelot, Edmund, or Beringar (which is a last name). As it got later and later, we got a little freer with the names: Edmund O'Galahad, like Bucket 0' fish; Cozy Truffle, Fillet (pronounce the 't') Fetherfin, and many others that were so strange I can't remember them. Hermes, though, was able to discern the fish's real name. I'm reading a story about a cat, and the author/owner is having trouble naming his cat. He talks about a strange lady- a friend-of-a-friend type- who says that you should lay on your back, knees up, feet flat on the ground. Then you breathe in and out, saying something like "hen/sah" on the in/out. Then you're in meditation mode. Next you look at your cat, and it's intrinsic name will come to you; it will be the best possible name you could have chosen. Well, we decided that we needed to find out the fish's real name. So, Hermes proceeded with the meditation bit, looked at the fish and pronounced: Tony Flash! Well, we laughed ourselves silly, as you can imagine. This morning we decided to stick with Tony Flash; it goes well with Trojan and Christmas. I did have a little trouble remembering his name a little while ago, though, so I called him Speedy Tart. >-o>

7 comments:

PB said...

I love it! I wish my name was Tony Flash!!

Would that be short for Anthony, or just plain Tony?

Gregaria said...

I like Tony Flash :) But Cozy Truffle was definitely my second favorite.

Anonymous said...

Just plain Tony.

Anonymous said...

You guys have pretty fun taste in fish names. I'm glad it ended up Tony Flash, and not some medieval cheeseball name. What is my little sheep's name? Is it Colonel Puff? I don't quite remember... Just that it was in honor of Erika's uncle's goldfish.

Claire Russell / Group 8 said...

Chief Puff, Deirdre! It's the f's. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Tony Flash... I can just see Madeline doing that whole meditating thing and then yelling "TONY FLASH!" and laughing uproariously.

Anonymous said...

I have never met anyone more obsessed with names than you, my dear friend Claire. I can't remember the name you gave me at MI Camp, but I know it was a gem of humiliation. Please, for the sake of the preservation of the world, do not go into the business of baby-naming