I learned the lindy hop yesterday! *feels empowered*
I went to three lindy hop lessons in a row yesterday afternoon. It's the kind of swing that looks really complicated, and is, a little. It's really nice to know how to do it. Besides learning the basic step, we learned maybe six or seven variations of it, like with turns or transitioning into the Charleston, which has a couple of variations as well. Later in the evening there was a dance, and many more people came to that. It was great getting to try out my new grooves with some really swell dancers! Their different styles made it really fun.
Now the hard part is learning the lead's part as well as the follow's, so that I can teach it to all the boys back home. :-O
And, by the way, in Seattle over October 27-29 there will be jitterbug workshops and dances. I won't be going, but if anyone else is interested, check out the Jitterbug Club. I just saw on their website, of course, that there is a nice steep fee involved: between $119 and $129, depending on how speedy you are!
Anyways, happy dancing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Yes! I learned the Lindy once... and quickly forgot. I hope you can teach me :D How's school going after two weeks?
We went shopping today and got some clothes that will come in handy in the winter for both Grace and I. I'm also looking into getting a pair of boots! *shocking*
And, furthermore, I am missing Madeline. But (not that this makes up for it, but) there was a really, really awesome Mass today at St. Mark's for Fr. Harris's installation as their new priest. Bishop Tyson came and there was even a brass quartet (quintet?). It was so incredible. There were also twelve altar servers, including Raph! It was pretty dang cool. Fr.'s family came, as well as his old parishioners from St. Mary's (just a few) and there was a big banquet afterwards. Did I tell you I joined their parish last weekend? And I'll be helping out with their youth group as well. Exciting times, exciting times. Well, I'm off to eat a ravioli dinner. Ah... :)
God bless, dearie, God bless (you).
I've also learned at least the basic Lindy step since I arrived at TAC. Yay! It's kind of fun, actually, although I still much prefer 'regular' swing. We had the most awesome dance on Friday night....
Yay Lindy! Hannah, I'm really proud of you for joining St. Mark parish. Haha! Last night I went to the Mass here on campus with the Newman Center people. I filled out a form with my info and interests (like pro-life, Marian, etc) and for the space about which parish I was coming from, I wrote "St." and then paused for a long time before writing "Mark's." I felt a little bit wicked, but it's awkward saying I'm from STM when I haven't been to a Sunday Mass there in a few months! I wish I could've been to Fr.Harris' installation. Awesome. I'm glad you're helping with the youth ministry. "I think you're called to the ministry." :D
Hey Elizabeth, sounds like fun at TAC. I can't wait to come and visit down there Nov. 21/22. :) It will be so excellent.
I wish I was going to eat some ravioli...
I wish I was going to swing dance.
hey Claire!! so you're going to WWU?! cool.
I was going to write about learning lindy hop at my school too! and we learned about that many different moves too,including a bit of charleston WHICH IS SO FUN! =D you and I are deffinetly going to teach our homies on our breaks. =D
I am so glad you have a Catholic community there. how are the teachers? pretty liberal, eh? but alas. so is UP.
and Hannah! shopping sounds good. I can't wait to shop on my break. i desperately need fall/winter clothes.
good for you - helping out with the youth group. that's cool =D
take care! miss all you ladies!
A friend of mine hates TAC swing, and only likes the real basic step... He's almost the only person down here who even does the not TAC basic step. And he lives about 3 minutes away from the college. Oh well.
I haven't learned Lindy Hopping yet, but I wish I could. We're having a dance next week again, which'll be super fun! Yay! The guys down here are plentiful and really good. I just love 'em. I can't wait to dance with them all again. Ugh.
Not that big a fan of ravioli a lot of the time. Oh well.
I learned a bunch of the Charleston the other day...it was pretty sweet. They were going to be having Lindy Hop lessons over the next two weekends, but I'll be gone for both....I'm kind of bummed. I guess they'll probably have them again though....
Lindy Hop? What the...?
On the other hand, this blog is rapidly turning into the Toad and Toad blog...where's Bing? What have you done with her, TAC??
Hi Christina! I hope all is going well at PU. My teachers aren't really that liberal... at least, how liberal can you be with math and music? There isn't a whole lot of room for politics or personal opinion with those! My teachers are good, although I get a little annoyed with Prof Chubb sometimes because he overexplains things, esp. things that don't have to do with the actual class material. And I'm lovin my math teacher! I'm like the only one in the class who shares his delight with certain aspects of it, so we often share delighted expressions while everyone else seems bored. Haha! It's good. Anyway, I need to go practice clarinet (I'm playing in a master class on Fri) and piano, which I'm learning as a music minor. See ya.
Claire needs to go practice piano... ???
Something is clearly wrong with the world!
Yeah... um, I think I'll just go practice my clarinet now.
;)
I would say I need to practice my vla, but I just finished that. You gotta love Bruch. :)
Bing doesn't really get much internet access, dearie. That's why she's disappearing from the face of blogdom.
Claire, I'm SO EXCITED for Thxgiving. We have to make a really, really good toikey like we did without you last year. Mmmm... Toisek de toikey. He were tasty. (rhyme, yo.)
And Hannah, I forgot to mention last time I commented how fantabulous it was that you added a you there on your comment. I was duly impressed.
Lots of love.
Post a Comment